Apologies: Paul I, Martyn O.
1. Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising
The Trust has spoken to Liam Watson about recognising the players’ achievements this season, including the record-breaking away run. Liam has said he would prefer this to be done on the last day of the season.
It is unlikely that the Trust will proceed with the brochure in memory of Sally Devine. However, the Trust still wants to mark Sally’s contribution to the club and the legacy she left to the Trust, possibly by using her photographs in future Trust publications and when the floodlights project is completed.
2. Treasurer’s Report
The Trust’s current balance is £22,142, including £977 held for future coach trips. Net funds available to the Trust are £21,165.
A surplus of £351 has been made on away travel and this will be used mainly to subsidise the coach to Grimsby. Around £1,800 has been generated in new memberships and renewals since July.
The current membership is around 230 and has continued to rise gradually.
4. Sponsored run to Grimsby
Colin Aindow reported that his training is going well ahead of his run to Grimsby on the final day of the season. Recent weeks have seen coverage for Colin’s run in the local press, around the ground and on the internet.
Colin said that he has received good feedback, although getting sponsorships from people has been difficult. The Trust will contact a number of local businesses in the hope of getting corporate sponsorships on board.
5. Weekend visit to Braintree and other coach trips
There are only a few spaces left on the weekend trip to the match at Braintree Town on 11 February. The coach will leave on the Friday morning, with an overnight stay in Southend on the first day and Braintree on the Saturday. Southend United have agreed let the Trust have a number of discounted tickets for their game on the Friday night.
6. Floodlights project
The Trust is disappointed with the lack of communication from the club about the progress of the floodlights project. It is not clear whether the application for a grant from the Football Foundation has been submitted. The Trust has written to Charlie Clapham three times for an update but has yet to receive a response.
It is still thought that the new floodlights are unlikely to be installed before the close-season. The Trust has also asked for a meeting with representatives from the club.
7. Other events
Following the success of last summer’s cricket match against a team put together by Liam Watson, the Trust has agreed to arrange another match for 22 July. Possible venues are being explored.
Enquiries will be made about arranging a programme fair and the possibility of holding a quiz night was discussed.
8. Stockport County supporters’ sponsored bike ride
The Trust has been contacted by the Stockport County supporters’ co-operative, who are arranging a bike ride to the match at Haig Avenue on 17 March. Any Southport fans wanting to take part are invited and the Trust has put the organisers in contact with the club regarding their request for free entry to the game.
The Trust was saddened to hear of the death of Anita Shaw, who served local football in various roles and was also the reserve team secretary during the season it was funded by the Trust.
10. Next meetings
23 February (board), 22 March (members).
Thursday, 26th January, 2012. 7-30pm Grandstand Bar
All committee members present plus Colin Aindow
Minutes of last meeting and matters arising – Rob to speak to Liam about a ‘reward’ for the players for the record breaking away run. The brochure for Sally is unlikely to proceed due to a lack of enough available photographs and that instead her photographs could be used in future programmes.
Treasurer’s report – Net cash balance of £21,138.58, with £10K in a term deposit which matures on Sept 7th
Membership – currently stands at 230
Sponsored run to Grimsby – Colin talked through the proposed run from Southport FC to Grimsby taking in 15 football clubs on route:
Colin was increasing the marketing/awareness via Twitter, facebook and local/national press and Alan J promised to help out with the latter. Colin was planning to train with the players on Saturday. Sponsorship forms to be made available online and in trust and club shop and also e-mailed with newsletter and added to club/trust websites. Colin advised the main areas for focus were logistics and discounted food and accommodation which he would start contacting the chains.
Braintree/Southend Weekend – Martyn advised on a selection of hotels in both Southend and Braintree and it was agreed to book Friday night in Southend and Saturday evening in Braintree. The plan is to depart late morning on Friday and for those interested there are discounted tickets to watch Southend on Friday night. There are a small number of places available at a first come first served basis.
Coach trips – It was advised that the Lincoln Tuesday night game was highly unlikely to run and Phil’s suggestion to promote Hayes and Ebbsfleet trips was discussed, but it was decided instead to do a discounted trip to Grimsby. Prices are set at £10 for members in advance prior to 4th March and £15 after. Non members £27 in advance £30 on day.
Floodlights – Despite attempts to gain further information from the club chairman on the situation with the floodlights, nothing has been forthcoming recently.
The last feedback from the chairman confirmed that it would be alright for the Trust to put the cash in a term deposit to end in the summer, so completion of the project is unlikely to happen before then.
Promoting the club – Martin has been in touch with Graham Whitman and his ideas were discussed. It was agreed to look into this in detail at a future date.
Stockport County supporters bike ride – the club and trust have been contacted about their planned bike ride from Stockport to Southport in aid of a local hospice and the supporters trust. It was suggested the trust could welcome them on arrival.
Constitutional changes – Supporters Direct have updated various parts of the constitution and are looking for all members to update and change some rules to accommodate this. Martin went through the various areas and will issue out to various members as the matter will have to be approved and voted on. The main areas of change were to do with asset locks and issuing of company and community shares. Information would be forwarded onto members.
Next meeting – Thursday 26th January – open meeting